A killer once dubbed one of Britain’s most wanted fugitives has been jailed for at least 26 years.
Shane O’Brien, 31, evaded police for three-and-a-half years after he slashed Josh Hanson’s neck in Hillingdon, west London, on 11 October 2015.
He fled the UK, changed his appearance and moved around Europe before his extradition from Romania in April.
O’Brien, who jurors found guilty of murder last month, was given a life sentence at the Old Bailey.
CCTV released during the trial showed 21-year-old Mr Hanson clutching his neck and stumbling as blood poured out of a 37cm (14.5in) wound.
‘Abrupt, vicious, violent’
After the killing, jurors heard, O’Brien was seen “calmly” walking out of the bar.
He made his way to Ashford, Kent, where a contact had chartered a private four-seater plane to take him to the Netherlands.
The killer grew a beard and long hair and changed his tattoos as he travelled through countries including Germany, Belgium and the Czech Republic, the court was told.
In 2017, the father-of-two was arrested over a dispute in a Prague nightclub but gave police a false name and fled while on bail.
The trial heard the 31-year-old was added to Europol and Interpol’s most wanted lists but still managed to lay low.
However, he was eventually caught by Romanian authorities after he contacted Scotland Yard to arrange a possible meeting, the jury heard.
Sentencing the father-of-two, Judge Nigel Lickley QC called it “a grotesque, violent and totally unnecessary attack on an innocent man”.
“The reason why you behaved in such a way may never be fully explained. You, however, know the reason,” he said.
In a victim impact statement, Mr Hanson’s mother Tracey described her son as being “considerate, kind and generous”.
“He was taken from us in the most horrific way possible – suddenly, abruptly, viciously and violently,” she said.
The victim’s sister, Brooke, said the 21-year-old “was not just my brother, he was my best friend”, and described his “infectious smile” and “magical presence”.
She told the court she had suffered from anxiety and post-traumatic stress since the killing and found herself always wondering if she could have protected him from the “evil” that took him away.
During the trial, O’Brien had claimed he felt threatened by Mr Hanson’s “very aggressive body language” and had only meant to scare his victim.
There were angry shouts of “coward” from the public gallery as he was led away from the dock.
A 15-year-old has been charged with conspiring to murder a schoolboy who was stabbed to death in the street.
Baptista Adjei, also 15, from North Woolwich, was attacked on Stratford Broadway, east London, on 10 October.
Police have charged another 15-year-old boy with murder, GBH and two counts of possessing an offensive weapon.
The latest suspect will appear at Stratford Youth Court later, Scotland Yard said.
A man in his 60s has been stabbed to death in west London.
Emergency services were called to St Mary’s Avenue South in Southall at 18:40 BST on Saturday where they found the man suffering from a stab wound.
He was pronounced dead at the scene and his next of kin have been informed, the Met Police said.
A man in his 30s has been arrested on suspicion of murder and is in hospital under police guard being treated for minor injuries.
According to a witness who gave the injured man first aid, he was stabbed after leaving a pub.
Raj Grover, who lives near to the victim, said he was getting ready to go to his own birthday party when the man knocked on his front door.
“He was ringing our doorbell,” he told the PA news agency. “He rang the bell and I went out, my son was there, he was shouting ‘Dad, come out’.
“I went downstairs and saw he was full of blood, and then I was running to pick up a towel.
“I put the towel on and I was pressing to stop the blood, then my wife came out, we called the ambulance and the police.”
Mr Grover, who runs a local business, said the victim asked him to call his wife, who then arrived at the house.
“His wife, she mentioned he went to the pub, I don’t know what happened in the pub just around the corner, he came back, was on his way back and somebody stabbed him twice, stabbed him two times with a knife on the stomach and on his side,” he said.
A crime scene and multiple road closures are in place in the area, Scotland Yard said on Saturday evening.
A man was stabbed to death in a south-west London street by the person he had been walking with, police have said.
Tesfa Campbell, 40, was found by police responding to reports of a fight on Latchmere Road in Battersea on Wednesday. He died in hospital.
Det Ch Insp Simon Harding, from The Met, said it is believed Mr Campbell was walking on Burns Road with another man who stabbed him and fled on foot.
No arrests have been made in connection with his death.
Police found Mr Campbell injured at about 14:45 BST and have appealed for witnesses who were in the area at the time, “particularly” around the nearby Latchmere Leisure Centre.
Det Ch Insp Harding said: “This stabbing happened in broad daylight and we believe there are people out there who can help us establish the facts of the incident.”
A post-mortem examination of Mr Campbell, who was from Croydon, will happen in due course.